Saturday 18 September 2010

First freak out in a while, a personal record.

Yes everyone I used to have these little freak outs a lot. A lot! But lately, since Infest in fact, I've been pretty chilled out and zen about things. Taking life as it comes and knowing that with the right amount of work everything will be ok.
But it's the silliest things that get to you. For me it was charging my new mp3 player.

Let's get some history on this shall we. I've always had simple AA/AAA battery operated cheaper players. I've never been fussy, as long as it played music I was happy. Then technology developed and this wasn't good enough apparently. The world moved on without me and it all had to be built in and USB charged. I seriously dislike this idea as I'm well known for letting my player die half way through a 2 mile walk, that's why I always carry batteries. Of course you can't do that with a built in rechargeable battery. Now, I finally had to accept that I had to move with the times as my old player bit the proverbial dust. So I wanted something cute and special. Long story short, the battery in it would not charge no matter what I did. I wanted to send it back but in this current climate the company just wasn't safe. After weeks I got my money back but feeling thoroughly exasperated I developed a hatred and fear of these rechargeable things.

But here I am still without an mp3 of my own. I finally asked a good friend of mine for help. He's my tech' genius and I trust his word. So he found one that's great and in my price range. Brilliant, music finally. But my fear kicks in and he suggests a mains charger. Wonderful. That should work and is a lot more reliable than my silly lap top. So I wait for the charger and finally I can use my pretty little player.

I left it connected to the mains, as it were, all night... No charge. I leave it all day... No charge. And then the freak out hit. All the hassle of last time flooding back. In my attempt to crawl back from despair I hooked it up to my lap top to shove some music on it anyway. It told me it was charging.
"Suuuure you are. Just like last time." I sighed. Well, five hours later I unplug it as it tells me it is fully charged. And low and behold it was. End of freak out.

As I said, it's always the little things. Not my partner losing her job (Don't ask, long tearful explanations are not needed), not financial, social, or political instability, but an mp3 player.

So ladies and gentlemen, what little things make you panic?

No comments:

Post a Comment