Sunday 6 June 2010

On the subject of servitude and modern feminism.

Have you ever watched those old films, the ones with lady's in corsets swooning over a guy that wears more lace than most lolita's and thought "I want to be like that.". You want the style and the manners, the romantic ideals, the power. Well, how about the servants? In an idealised sort of: kind home owner, buys you your uniforms/clothes, gives you enough to eat, keeps a roof over your head, bonus at christmas, all in exchange for doing the housework kind of way. How about that?
When you were a little kid did you want to be the prince/princess or the handmaiden/manservant? (or maybe the whipping boy but that's for a different blog all together ^_< )

I'm torn you see. I want the princess' money so I can afford all the things I need like my home, my clothes, food on the table and little bits and pieces for the sake of wanting them. I want the garden and the music, the high class parties and girls actually covering up (Do not get me started on modern fashion ideals and how ridiculous they've become. Maybe in another blog). But I also love the idea of being the maid, keeping the home tidy, making the food that goes on the table, taking care of the princess. It's very much like the modern day housewife. The idea of a 'kept' woman.

So where does all this fit in with the modern idea of feminism. Many may think that these idea's are anti-feminist as it's usually the "king" or "landowner" bringing in the money for all these things to happen in the first place. But it's a matter of choice.
If the "princess" chooses to sit in her tower with her jewellery and pampering then it's her who has taken the power back. The man gives her the money but she chooses what's done with it.
And the same with the "maid" or "housewife", if they choose to take care of the home, cook and clean then that's her power. She makes the home liveable.

Personally I see myself as an equalist, where neither the man nor woman holds the power. Both are equal and so are treated as such. I choose to keep myself covered. I choose to wear shorts or bloomers under skirts for modesty. I choose to keep to a very feminine ideal when it comes to my clothing choices. I choose to dream of forfilling the idea of the housewife one day.

So... We go back to the beginning. Are you the owner or the servant?

No comments:

Post a Comment