Sunday 13 June 2010

Cakes and class (An argument for polite dining)

Today I had a fresh strawberry tart with cream. So naughty I know, but something struck me. The girls at the till had apologised for being new. It was fine of course, no need to apologise at all, but it was so nice that they even thought of being that polite. Most places they would have just given you that smarmy little smile and made you wait while they played around with the till.

I find that when I go out to eat the food tastes better when the staff have been polite and attentive. In fact I can forgive a lot if the people are polite. Example, a child ran into me while I was at the supermarket last night (no one was hurt as the poor lad was literally half my size). Usually I would have been seriously bothered that the parents were not controlling the child, but the lad looked so frightened and actually said sorry. And there it was, all anger gone because of two honestly given words.

I like to dine in what many would consider upper class places if I do go out for the simple reason that the staff and patrons are a lot more polite. I'm not talking about these ridiculously expensive places that serve everything in a thimble and look down on you whoever you may be. I hate those sorts of places.
These are establishments that actually consider manners needed. I don't mean saying please every three seconds but just the common courtesy that everyone deserves. It's a matter of respect.

But I suppose respect is lacking in modern society. That's why the crime rates are up, the chav nation was born, you can't go out at night without the fear of being hurt. It's all a matter of respect. No one really respects their elders or authority. No one respects each other. I look around and there's such a negative feeling.

Right now it's raining. There's no one out and it's my favourite time. The air is fresh as pollution lowers, the chavs stay at home and you can walk outside with little fear. Apparently the fear of a little water replaces respect in my life.

What is respect to you personally and can you live without it? 

3 comments:

  1. I feel much the same as you. It has now gotten to the point when even giving respect to others myself, I am viewed with suspicion before gratitude sometimes; which is a sad enditment of how rare it has become. For instance I remember holding doors open for people who then scowled at me or even in the case of one girl, was had a go at for presuming she couldn't do it herself.

    She was attempting to argue from a femminist perspective evidently misunderstanding what femminism is. I didn't do it in any kind of condesending way, and as an equalist, pointed out that I hold doors for everyone and her gender made not the slightest difference to me. It did not go down well.

    Even when there are fights between men, gone now is the old code of Queensbury rules (nothing below the belt)and only using the minimum force required. Doing what chavs do now, of pounding one person into a pulp between 5 combatants and still laying into them when they're on the floor and no longer pose any threat, also of attacking from behind; was seen as crass and the height of cowardise.

    Also when this happened in times passed, people would move on and no matter who won, it would be considered the end of the matter and the loser would not hold a petty grudge. When it comes to chavs, it is rare that I ever here of one-on-one altercations. They pride themselves on 'bein 'ard' but never have the courage of their convictions. Just like rats, you have an altercation with one and swiftly find yourself facing 3 others.

    This is also a downside of the narrowing of the gender division as chavetts will frequently join in knowing full well the man their beating won't want to hit them back and if he does out of self-defence, no matter what preceeded it, when it comes to police involvement HE will appear the villan because of the still sexist view that women don't seek out fights with men.

    Many female-on-male domestic violence cases go unreported as the men are frightened of not being taken seriously, being emasculated for in the eyes of other 'letting a woman beat him' or even worse; being seen as the perpetrator themselves! It vexes me, it really does!

    Anyway, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent. Good blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think I'll move to another planet at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or at the very least, conquer our own nation like they did on TGWTG with Kickassia!I wonder how well defended Gurnsey is..?

    ReplyDelete