Tuesday 8 June 2010

Digital memory and glitches in life.

I've come to a realisation lately that my computer is slow, and always will be. This may not be an odd thing in itself, many computers are slow, especially five year old ones. But you see, this computer has a few month old hard drive that replaced the one that died. It also has a completely different operating system than it came with. This may be for many reasons: overheating, overuse, that one time it was dropped, the models well known short circuit... But there's something else.

Digital memory. And no I don't mean memory sticks. Digital memory is made up of the passive memories that computers hold. Ever had a computer that just refuses to connect to a printer for no reason whatsoever? A game console that always has a bit of a fuss after ten minutes of play? This is an example of digital memory. My personal computer is the bane of all good tech support people. No matter what you do my computer will always find something to complain about when trying to load a game. Always. In fact it seems to grow problems from nowhere.

I don't know why this phenomena occurs but I have experienced it and I know for a fact we all react to it. Every time you threaten to kick your computer and it springs into life.  Don't say you don't do it. And I know you now all think I'm crazy, "Myo it's an inanimate object. It can't remember." To be honest the day you stop shouting at your monitor every time it freezes is the day I'll believe you feel that way.

Now for my second point, I seem to be making a point of always having one of these, the glitches in life. Those times when you're sure you moved something or tidied it way but there it is, right in front of you. The times when life seems to stop. Just in the middle of the day, your at home and the world has just stopped. These little 'glitches' in the real world seem to reflect the idea of digital memory. Life acting like a soulless machine with a programming problem.

When was the last time you asked your computer what the hell it had done after a glitch in your life? 

1 comment:

  1. I have all to many of these in my life! Better yet my memory will randomly decide I HAVE done something I was only intending to do and then plant the false memory of me actually doing it! I get the same thing in various combinations with things I have said/intend to say to people. Most annoying!

    ReplyDelete