Thursday 15 July 2010

Fight the power (Notes on a broken system)

So as I type I can see so many examples of how broken our benefit system is.
My partner now has a casual job, bringing in some money, yay. I am still volunteering.
Not that I'm complaining, I like my job. I'm even being trained as a relief manager. But, and here's the thing, our benefits are going to be cut. Why, you ask?
Well, next week my partner will be working twentysix hours. To end her claim she needs to work sixteen, to end both hers and mine she needs to work twentyone. Twentysix>twentyone.
Great you say. Finally off benefits and making a contribution to society.
Not so much. After this full week we may go back to a lot less, or even nothing. As is the way of the casual worker. But this means we will have to temporarily reclaim benefits to have enough money to survive.
This system is a complete mess and doesn't take into account real people and how they work. Or how our shattered economy effects those trying to live without steady work.
We are trying to put together some savings but it's impossable in our current climate. That means moving out of my parents house (as I am in my twenty's and married) is becoming a harder and harder possibility. After this training is complete hopefully I can get a decently paying job and get out of this careers black hole that is the midlands.
Someone pay for a house for me, and a uni place, and a bloody morgage.

No comments:

Post a Comment